Census data points to better, denser town down the road

Recently distributed census data up to 2008 validates what anyone could have seen in recent years: Our community is growing.

And yet, as natural as the growth feels, it always raises questions about whether or not it is good for the community.

Chapel Hill is on a trajectory to be a much denser, more populated place.

And while it may be uncharted territory, it’s a long-term trend that will ultimately benefit the community.

Orange County’s population was about 10 percent larger in 2008 than it was in 1998. Surely, the recession has served to slow growth everywhere. But with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state, there’s reason to believe more impressive growth is to come.

Thus the debate ensues: “The town has always been good, so why does it need to grow?”

Students and locals may more often disagree in this debate than any other group.

Some permanent residents understand how unique Chapel Hill is and say the threat of upsetting that equilibrium isn’t worth ?the risk.

Some students are more transient, young and likely less averse to the opportunity for more businesses, more stores and more nightlife.

Frankly, this seems like a false dichotomy.

With efforts at growth and revitalization in both Durham and Raleigh, Chapel Hill needs to grow — and it is. Greenbridge, 140 West Franklin and the redevelopment of University Square are more than sufficient evidence.

But Chapel Hill is a product of its people, not its commerce. And people come to Chapel Hill to be a part of its unique culture, not to change it from within.

There’s little reason not to assume that with well-managed growth, Chapel Hill can have more opportunity without sacrificing the culture that makes it great.