BYOB events

UNC-A and Appalachian State host BYOB events for students. At App State, students can bring in a six-pack while hanging out at a school-owned late-night venue. Maybe they have golf carts to drag home drunkards.

Turkey humanity

Well, the farmers at Asgard Farms slit their turkeys’ throats, but that’s actually the most humane way to kill them. We support lethal injection, but we’ll take the farm’s word for it.

Easley convicted

Former Gov. Mike Easley was convicted of a felony last week. While it speaks poorly of N.C. politicians, at least we won’t have to worry about him running for sheriff after the recent amendment passed.

Sweepstakes cafes

Sweepstakes cafes — the glimmers of hope in many people’s otherwise hopeless lives — will have a tough time preying on unrealistic dreams, now that the N.C. legislature just banned electronic gambling machines.

UNC Baskeball

Alright, we’re off to a slow start. Barnes isn’t exactly living up to all the hype — yet. The team doesn’t look like a cohesive unit — yet. But hang in there. We’ll come back. Unfortunately, there are no investigations to blame for this one.

Street racing

Two people caused an accident on Franklin Street Saturday night trying to imitate Vin Diesel in a street race. The only saving grace for this move could’ve been if the cars were actually cool. Too bad they were a Civic and a Silverado.