Self-anointed "nerds" serve up volleyball victory

It started as a fun way to blow off steam, something graduate students could enjoy after grading tests and leading recitations.

But after four years of meeting every Friday to play volleyball, a group of seven self-described “nerds” in the mathematics department took their game to the next level.

After reaching the semifinals in its first year, the team, Bump Set Integrate, took the championship in the University’s intramural volleyball league.

“We are the nerdiest of nerds, and we won some kind of sports event,” said fifth-year graduate student Keith Schneider via e-mail.

On Nov. 16, the team finished the season undefeated, outscoring its opponents by a total of 110 points.

“A lot of the teams in rec were frat guys. It feels like an ‘80s movie,” said fourth-year graduate student J.D. Martindale.

It did not take long for the team to realize it’s potential. After four years of casual games, Bump Set Integrate entered its initial contest reasonably confident of the team’s skill.

But after a blowout victory, the team members realized it could overcome the stereotypes which accompany their field of study.

“It’s cool that even math guys can be athletic at least at one sport,” said second-year graduate student Sam Behrend.

Next year, the team will take another step, moving from the recreational to the competitive level. But Bump Set Integrate will be without Schneider, the vocal leader of the team who is planning to leave UNC next year.

Schneider said he is disappointed he will not be able to accompany the team into the next level of intramural sports. However, he is happy to be going out on top.

He said, “I wanted to be in The Daily Tar Heel one time before I left.”