A step toward reform: Proposal to alter and streamline the structure of Student Congress has referendum potential

A proposal to transform the legislative branch of student government has many solid ideas, and a few adjustments could make it worthy of the Feb. 8 ballot.

While it is unclear whether breaking up Student Congress into two boards would better serve students, it is a solid start to a conversation about how to improve student government.

The spirit behind the bill is that Congress would function better if it were more streamlined. That’s hardly an original idea, but the concept it generated shows promise.

To that end, Congress in its current form would be abolished. What would replace it is a Student Finance Board and a Student Legislative Board.

The Finance Board would oversee student fees and the appropriation of student fee revenues that come under the control of student government.

The Legislative Board would have general legislative power and pass legislation by a three-fifths majority. It would also have the power to impeach members of student government, and approve appointments by the student body president.

This reapportionment of power is not radical. Congress at large already performs similar functions in a similar manner.

The main concern centers around checks and balances. While representatives would be elected from the sophomore, junior and senior classes, freshmen, an at-large undergraduate and all of the graduate students would likely be appointed by executive branch leaders.

Two executive branch members would also have ex officio status. The student body treasurer would sit on the Finance Board, and the student body vice president would sit on the Legislative Board.

Though they couldn’t vote, they would add to a commanding executive branch presence.

But the bill has potential.

The Rules and Judiciary Committee ought to give it high priority in creating a more solid proposal in time to make it on the ballot.

Congress can and has decided against sending approving referendums. But it would put the body in an awkward place to block genuine reform of its own structure.

All the more reason to redouble efforts to produce a more perfect bill in time for election day.