All up in your business for January 20, 2011

Designer boutique to close

Modern Times boutique, which sells designer clothes and jewelry in University Mall, will close at the end of the month.

The boutique’s owner, Hillary Fisher, decided not to renew the store’s lease for several reasons, including declining business, employee MaryAnn Angwenyi said.

“It would not be the smartest decision to stay,” Angwenyi said. “It’s kind of a slow time for retail.”

Fisher is looking into other locations for Modern Times but will not begin making concrete plans until spring, Angwenyi said.

To help clear the floor, the boutique is having a sale — 60 percent off clothes and jewelry as well as a $25 clearance rack.

Angwenyi said she hopes the sale will attract college girls.

“We still have a lot of cute cocktail dresses left,” she said. “They are a great, great steal.”

Franklin’s new ‘Front Porch’

A new family-owned bar will open on Franklin Street in the next two weeks.

The Front Porch Bar and Grill will offer “typical bar food,” including hamburgers, wings and sweet potato fries, said Courtney Fox, an owner.

“We definitely hope to appeal to students with a very large amount of food for a very good price,” said Jennifer Cox, another owner.

Cox said the four owners, all family members who grew up in Chapel Hill, hope the laid-back atmosphere will attract customers.

“Franklin Street means a lot to us, so we hope to represent that in the bar with pictures and memorabilia,” Cox said.

She said the family debated a long time before deciding on a name.

“We were sitting on our front porch all talking about our favorite locations,” she said. “We then realized that our favorite location was the front porch.”

Paws4Ever opens thrift store

Paws4Ever, an organization that supports animal welfare in Orange County, has opened a resale shop in Hillsborough.

The thrift shop should not be mistaken for a pet store, said Caroline Green, president of the Paws4Ever Board of Directors.

The store sells “whatever makes the most revenue,” including kitchenware, furniture, jewelry, books and pet supplies, Green said. Community members can donate items, although the store does not sell clothing. All the proceeds will go toward the operation of the organization’s shelter for dogs and cats in Mebane.

Since the organization opened the shop four days ago, the store has already made about $1,000, Green said.

“I’m thrilled to see the potential of what we can do for our animals,” she said. “It’s very nice to have a community presence in a city in Orange County.”

‘Late:Nite’ food on wheels

Will & Pop’s food truck began serving ‘Late:Nite’ meals and snacks to Carrboro customers on New Year’s Eve.

Will Pettis and Kenny “Pop” Pettis came up with the idea and cook for the late-night masses.

The biggest hit is the grilled cheese sandwich, versions of which include the ‘gangsta’ with pulled pork and the ‘hippy’ with guacamole, said Carol Ashby, the manager.

The company uses compostable paper products and fresh ingredients from Weaver Street Market and Cliff’s Meat Market, Ashby said.

The cart moves to different locations, including Sam’s Blue Light in Durham and the Short Stop in Carrboro, and also serves breakfast and lunch.

She said she especially enjoys serving the late-night customers leaving the bars in Carrboro.

“They entertain us with their antics as we feed them.”