An opportunity for reform: Santoro’s position in ASG a chance for better ?outside advocacy and internal reform

Deanna Santoro’s expanded role in the Association of Student Governments offers an opportunity for the organization to more effectively lobby on students’ behalf, assuming Santoro follows through on the goals she has set forth.

Her promotion also offers an opportunity for more aggressive internal reform of the association. She should bring the same reform-minded approach to ASG that she has previously professed and that she has brought to Student Congress.

Santoro is now the associate vice president of the legislative and public affairs committee. She thus will play a large role in the organization’s state lobbying efforts.

Santoro said that some of her strongest goals include having a strong student day at the capital.

“That is a place where ASG can be really effective and students can get their money’s worth,” she said.

She specifically pointed out how essential it will be for students not only to participate, but to be prepared with specific priorities — especially after the November election tipped the balance of power toward conservatives who are not keen on spending this year.

Given that budget cuts are likely to be steeper this year than ever before, it’s the right mentality. She pointed to having a second student day in May and simplifying the paperwork for students to participate as two ways in which to make lobbying efforts even more effective.

Administrators can lobby for campuses, but students can best touch legislators emotionally by articulating to them what budget cuts mean for their academic experience.

“What we have to lobby for is showing and communicating how this affects us personally as students,” she said.

These priorities seem sound, but external advocacy ought to be matched by internal advocacy for reform if ASG is to be truly effective.

A reduction in stipends would still free up valuable funds.

Registering as official lobbyists, whether it is legally obligated to or not, would give ASG greater legitimacy at the capitol.

Last year, Santoro was one of only two ASG delegates who voted on an amendment to reduce ASG’s generous officer stipends.

As speaker of Congress, Santoro has taken a role in systematically reforming weak parts of the Student Code.

A critical eye toward ASG would be helpful. And now that Santoro is part of ASG’s executive branch rather than just a delegate, she is in a better position to actuate the reforms that she has pushed in the past.