Lee plans to push the limit

Candidate has drawn complaints

4275_ian_lee_erin_hullf.jpg
Ian Lee

Ian Lee says he isn’t running for student body president to enhance his college experience or pad his resume.

Instead, he’s running because he can’t stand not to.

“I get upset when there’s so much more you could be doing that you’re not doing,” he said.

As student body secretary, Lee is the only candidate to have served as an executive officer. With this knowledge of student government, Lee said he felt strongly earlier this year that much more could be done for students.

So in October he decided to campaign for student body president in hopes of doing it himself.

“Being the oldest of five, I’ve always tried to lead the way and show by example, to push the limits so that someone else can see what’s possible,” he said.

“I’m always the first to try something new.”

Lee created a system for collecting petition signatures online this year, drawing the ire of other candidates. His campaign has been the subject of three investigations by the Board of Elections, including one that is ongoing. The first of those complaints challenged Lee’s eligibility on the grounds that the Student Code prohibits the student body secretary from campaigning during his tenure. Another challenged his online petitioning.

Title VI, Article IV, Section 408 of the Student Code explicitly prohibits the student body secretary — and students holding other select positions — from participating in a campaign for any elected position. The code becomes murky in one clause, which states that student government officials, when participating in elections, must clearly speak only for themselves and not the student government.

The Board of Elections ruled in favor of Lee in the fall on the condition that he not use his office for campaigning.

Lee said he prides himself on the simple, clear-cut goals outlined in his platform. Those include making Ram’s Deck free after 5 p.m. for students, extending meal plan credit to campus restaurants and moving tuition allotment from a peer-based model to a cost-based model.

“You need to be focused on a couple of key issues so that you are available to handle surprises,” Lee said.

John Sanders, the 1950-51 student body president, has known Lee for more than a year and said he feels confident in Lee’s abilities.

“I simply find him an intelligent, interesting, engaging young man,” Sanders said. “Plus, he has the background to have good judgement as to what the needs are.”

On top of his duties and school work, Lee is an amateur photographer, a scuba diver and an avid Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

“Ian knows when he needs to be serious and focus, but he also knows how to have fun, to smile and laugh and show his funny side,” said Chase Pickering, a senior and friend of Lee’s.

“He definitely balances it well.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.