Campaigning for student body president might never be the same.

Ian Lee, student body secretary and candidate for student body president, launched Thursday an online method for collecting signatures for his campaign

But the method has not been declared legal by the Board of Elections, and it has drawn complaints from other candidates.

Lee launched the web site at about 3 p.m. Thursday. It requires users to give their Onyen and password in order to provide an electronic signature. Candidates for student body president are required to collect 1,250 signatures to be placed on the ballot.

Lee said he thinks it is only logical for the signature gathering process to move to the Internet.

“We think it’s something that’s so much easier for students to show their support,” he said.

Rick Ingram, another candidate disagrees, saying he thinks Lee’s use of technology is a method of evading election law.

“I think it’s an attempt to undermine the process of becoming a student body president candidate,” he said.

But Lee said he is confident the board will decide to declare the signatures collected online valid.

“The Code doesn’t say anything about prohibiting them,” he said.

Andrew Phillips, chairman of the Board of Elections, said he wants to give candidates as much creative license as legally possible while maintaining a level playing field.

“The board values the rights of candidates to use their creative powers to campaign in whatever ways are legally sanctioned by the Student Code,” Phillips said. “Issues of fair play and fair treatment of candidates are the board’s top concerns.”

He added the board will hold a hearing on the legality of online signature gathering “sooner rather than later.”

Brooklyn Stephens, a candidate, said students might respond negatively to an online signature form.

“It would be easy to blow off a survey online,” she said. “It wouldn’t appeal to me if I didn’t know him personally.”

Mary Cooper, another candidate, said she will leave any decisions to the board.

“I trust the board to understand the rules completely,” she said.

Joey Guy and Dylan Gilroy are also candidates.

While initially worried about the security of Lee’s site, Phillips said he is reassured by the fact that users need an Onyen. The web site uses the same technology used for student voting, Lee said.

Ingram complained to the board in the fall Lee was illegally campaigning. Ingram argued the Student Code prohibits the student body secretary from campaigning for student body president.

The board eventually dropped the investigation.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.