Monday, June 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Lesser of evils: Centralizing preferred to deeper cuts

In the midst of continuing budget problems, Chapel Hill’s magistrate office will close. The office was identified as possibly being overstaffed, and Chief District Court Judge Joe Buckner declined to reappoint the three magistrates working at the office.

Although certainly not ideal, we applaud the county for thinking of creative ways to reduce government costs during an economic downturn.

Orange County commissioners and planners should continue to look at other counties to find innovative and effective ways to decrease government expenditures.

Centralizing county services seems to be a good way to save money in the short term, as long as it is accompanied by a transportation infrastructure that serves county residents.

The Orange County Board of Commissioners should look at other services that might be best provided at the county level, but without placing the financial burden on low-income residents — the people that are most likely to use government health and social services and least likely to have the time or transportation to get to them.

Police will now have to travel to Hillsborough to obtain warrants, as will residents involved in small claims cases or seeking a marriage ceremony.

While fuel costs and travel time as the police travel to and from Hillsborough will likely increase, the elimination of the magistrate’s office will hopefully not hinder the police department’s operations.

The department should remain vigilant in searching for ways to keep those costs down as well.

Several months ago, the Board of Commissioners voted to close one of the county’s two dental clinics and consolidate services to one location in Hillsborough.

Hillsborough, although smaller in population than Chapel Hill, is geographically in the middle of the county, making it a good location for Orange County residents that live away from any major cities.

Perhaps in better times, city and county officials might even find greater efficacy in a centralized model. After a few years of experimenting, they can choose the best model for Orange County’s residents.