UNC women's basketball overcomes post injuries

Broomfield, Rolle are suitable replacements

4252_broomfieldf.jpg
Laura Broomfield 2010-2011 University of North Carolina Women's Basketball Carmichael Arena Chapel Hill, NC Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The players off the bench were the difference makers for the University of North Carolina women’s basketball team this weekend.
UNC opened its slate against Virginia and Virginia Tech without two of its regular starters, forwards Jessica Breland and Chay Shegog.

While they watched from the bench, forwards Waltiea Rolle and Laura Broomfield stepped up and exceeded expectations.

Rolle had a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Broomfield had her own double-double, scoring 13 points and ripping down 10 rebounds Friday night. She repeated the performance on Sunday, this time scoring 14 points and fighting for 10 rebounds.

“I knew I would have to step up,” Broomfield said. “I try to be consistent every game and just crash the boards hard.”

Even without the usual starters, the Tar Heels managed to out-rebound the Hokies 49-32.

The front court was diminished as Shegog, who missed Friday’s game due to a concussion, logged only nine minutes during the weekend.

With that in mind, Broomfield knew she had to limit her fouls in order to maximize her time on the court.

“I played a little bit more passive on the defensive end, but I don’t want to get in the habit of doing that,” Broomfield said. “I was definitely trying to stay out of foul trouble.”

While Broomfield worked hard in the absence of Breland and Shegog, guard She’la White came off the bench to add to the backcourt scoring in Friday’s game.

White’s efforts started with a 3-pointer with just under 14 minutes left in the first half. From then on White was relentless, amassing 14 points in 22 minutes of play.

“When we put She’la in there, she gave us a spark and some really quick buckets,” UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said. “She knows that’s what she’s supposed to do.”

White cooled off Sunday as she went scoreless.

While bench players combined for 22 of UNC’s 64 points against UVa., they only managed to add eight points against Virginia Tech, leaving the burden of scoring to the starters.

Although Breland and Shegog may be nearing the completion of their convalescence, upon their return they will have to compete with the bench players who have worked hard to step up their game.

“When we get Jessica (Breland) back and Chay (Shegog) back to full strength, they’ll be able to give us strong numbers,” Hatchell said. “But the thing is, the way Broom(field) and these other kids are playing, they’ve got to work their way back in.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.