Residents resist growth of business school center

Members of the Meadowmont Village community expressed concern about a proposed expansion of a Kenan-Flagler Business School complex and the threat it could pose to nature.

Residents of Meadowmont were among the attendees of a public information meeting at Town Hall to review plans for the expansion of the Paul Rizzo Conference Center Thursday evening.

The center lies within a Natural Heritage Area that borders the community. The proposed expansion location is on a wooded slope where runoff pollution’s disturbance to animals is a concern.

Because the National Heritage Program is a not a regulatory agency, there is no provision to enforce the protection, wrote Linda Pearsall, director of the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, in an e-mail to the Chapel Hill Planning Department.

The area provides a buffer against noise, lights, domestic animals and other types of disturbances associated with developed areas.

“These forests provide movement corridors connecting wildlife populations over the entire region,” botanist Misty Buchanan wrote in another report sent to the planning department.

But business school representatives said the construction site cannot be moved closer to the existing buildings.

A garden, two cemeteries and land reserved for a possible light rail system lay in between the current complex and the proposed site, said David Stevens, associate dean for operations and finance in the school.

Currently the center houses 116 guest rooms as well as offices and classrooms. The proposed about 90,600 square-foot expansion would include 72 additional guest rooms, three more classrooms, an additional dining venue and a 187-car garage.

“We are being very mindful of minimizing site disturbances,” said University Architect and Director Anna Wu. “The clearing lines are being kept really tight to the building.”

Wu said that the complex would not be visible to the surrounding area.

But residents argued that the natural buffer benefits more than just animals. Meadowmont residents use walking paths throughout the natural space.

“It’s absolutely precious,” said John Wilson, a UNC lecturer present at the meeting whose mother lives in Meadowmont.

Hunters are also known to hunt near the proposed construction site.

“It’s a real shooting gallery,” said homeowner Eric Teagarden, who mentioned that the sound might disturb conference center guests.

The expansion would be privately funded, but Wu was not prepared to release estimates of the cost.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.