System waits on research funding

State froze an allotted $22 million in funds

UNC-system research programs might lose their competitive edge if the state does not approve funding for new equipment.

The system’s institutions have long waited to receive $22 million in funds, which the N.C. General Assembly approved last summer for new research equipment.

But the funding never received approval from the N.C. Council of State and will remain frozen until the council votes next month. The council delayed a December vote because members were concerned about the debt the funds would create for the state.

As the vote draws closer, administrators are unsure they will get the approval due to the expected $3.7 billion state budget shortfall.

Steve Leath, vice president for research for the UNC system, said allocating the money for research would add to the debt, but it would be a worthwhile investment.

The funds are considered necessary because new equipment would make the UNC system eligible and competitive for more federal research grants, he said.

“It’s leveraging a relatively small amount of state funding against much larger federal funding,” Leath said.

Without the funds, the UNC system could be surpassed by other research universities that have the equipment to compete for grants.

“It will be very hard for us to ever catch up,” Leath said.

If the funds are approved, UNC-CH would receive more than $3 million to purchase research equipment for 10 proposals.

The state would generate the money by selling bonds, which it would then have to pay interest on, Leath said.

N.C. Sen. Richard Stevens, R-Wake, who was co-chairman of the appropriations committee on higher education when the funds were approved, said the state would need to borrow the money because it has had financial difficulties in the past two years.

He said borrowing the funds would allow the UNC system to buy the equipment now rather than after the economy recovers, keeping research programs competitive.

“If you need a car, most of us wouldn’t just go out and buy it,” Stevens said. “You take a loan. This is the same idea.”

UNC-CH and N.C. State University would receive the largest dollar amounts in funds, but mid- and small-sized institutions like Appalachian State University, N.C. Central University, N.C. Agricultural & Technical State University and UNC-Greensboro would also receive substantial funds, Leath said.

“They really, really need equipment,” he said. “Without it, they’ll be less competitive.”

Barbara Entwisle, interim vice chancellor for research and economic development at UNC-CH, said that the funds would help the University pursue research that would benefit the campus and state.

“This is a broad campus initiative. We were interested in equipment that had broad use and broad application,” she said.

Entwisle said UNC-CH requested money for equipment that will be useful in fields like public health and Information Technology Services.

She said when UNC-CH put out a call for proposals over campus, the administration received 140 proposals worth more than $31 million.

“I think that shows the need on campus,” she said.

Contact the State and National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.