Charlotte to host 2012 Democratic National Convention

Charlotte picked for ‘big hearts’

The Obama family is a fan of North Carolina barbecue, southern charm and warm hospitality.

In an e-mail announcing Charlotte as the host city for the Democratic National Convention in 2012, first lady Michelle Obama said Tuesday those were some of the reasons for the selection.

“Vibrant, diverse and full of opportunity, the Queen City is home to innovative, hardworking folks with big hearts and open minds. And of course, great barbecue,” Obama said.

Charlotte beat Cleveland, Minneapolis and St. Louis for the bid.

The convention will not only highlight the growing political significance of the state but also boost the economy.

President Barack Obama has visited North Carolina at least four times since taking office. He addressed the employees of a company called Celgard last April in Charlotte and students and faculty of Forsyth Technical Community College in Winston-Salem in December.

“He does seem to have an affinity for the state of North Carolina,” said Jason Roberts, political science professor at UNC.

Roberts said Charlotte is a strategically better choice for Democrats than the other cities, and logistics such as the cost of hotels also could have played a part in the decision.

The convention, which will start on Sept. 3, 2012, is expected to bring more than 35,000 delegates and visitors to the city and generate more than $150 million in economic benefits, McClatchy News Services reported.

“Today’s decision is fantastic news for North Carolina regardless of your political party,” said Gov. Bev Perdue in a statement. “A national political convention is a keystone event that will boost North Carolina’s economy, while showcasing Charlotte and our state to the nation and the world.”

Anthony Dent, chairman of UNC’s College Republicans, said although Charlotte’s selection is good news for the state, he was surprised by the Democratic National Committee’s choice.

“Choosing North Carolina rather than Missouri seems like a gamble to me,” Dent said.

“Each party usually tries to chose a city that would help pick off a state from the opposition.”

Republicans announced last May that their convention will be in Tampa, Fla.

In the 2008 elections, North Carolina elected a Democratic presidential candidate for the first time in 32 years and helped Obama win the presidency.

The convention in Charlotte will bring Obama and the Democratic Party back in the minds of North Carolinians, improving his chances for re-election, said Burton Peebles, co-president of UNC’s Young Democrats.

“Being that Obama narrowly won the state in 2008, it will be a good opportunity for the party to show that North Carolina is important,” Peebles said.

Democratic officials say this convention will be different from previous ones. They are calling it the “People’s Convention” and encouraging participation and planning from average North Carolinians.

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.