Clash over con?ict: Daughtridge’s appointment a con?ict of interest

Bill Daughtridge Jr.’s position as senior policy adviser for N.C. General Assembly Speaker of the House Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, presents a clear conflict of interest and could ultimately affect his performance in both that position and his position on the UNC-system Board of Governors.

Daughtridge is also the vice chairman of the Budget and Finance Committee and is on the Public Affairs Committee on the board.
There is a policy barring BOG members from taking paid positions with the state. Technically, Daughtridge is free to take any position for the state as long as he is not paid.

Daughtridge is not being paid for his work with Tillis.

But this does not dispel the fact that Daughtridge, by taking an unpaid position, is splitting his attention and time between his duties as a BOG member and his new legislative position. And the conflict of interest clause exists for a reason. A lack of compensation does not mean Daughtridge will not be beholden to other interests.

Daughtridge has recently been involved in the search for former UNC-system President Erskine Bowles’ successor. Daughtridge also proposed a new three-tier tuition system last year. In the wake of UNC’s upcoming budget cuts, Daughtridge should not risk shirking his responsibilities on the BOG.

He has the credentials to excel as senior policy adviser for Tillis. He is a former state representative for Nash County, so Daughtridge’s experience in the legislature could aid Tillis. Daughtridge also brings an extensive knowledge of the UNC system to the table. There is no question that Daughtridge is a good fit for the adviser position.

But Daughtridge must choose between the two positions, or neither will get the attention they deserve.

It’s unclear if Daughtridge was aware of the conflict when he accepted the new position, but just because he isn’t being paid doesn’t mean he made the right decision.

It is imperative that Daughtridge commits to one position wholeheartedly. His term on the BOG ends in 2013, but he must make the decision now.