County open for business: Now is the time to evaluate development bureaucracy

Town and county leaders are talking about streamlining local economic development efforts. Given the seemingly fragmented nature of the current setup and difficult economic circumstances, now appears to be a good time to address the future of economic development in Orange County.

In December, 9.7 percent of North Carolinians were unemployed. So at 5.8 percent unemployment, Orange county residents are significantly better off than the rest of the state.

Orange County might be doing relatively well, considering the current recession. But there is always room for improvement, especially when it comes to attracting new businesses in a competitive environment.

Leaders should work together to reassess the system. Any unnecessary barrier to entry in Orange County that can be eliminated should be. It may be necessary to keep multiple offices — but it is better to be sure.

If businesses want to move and expand here, Orange County should have the simplest and most straightforward process for helping them.

Such a streamlining may be the last of the low-hanging fruits improving the long-term economic circumstances of the area. It may also cut overall administrative costs in the short-term.

Either through consolidation or increased collaboration, simpler and more efficient economic development efforts benefit everyone in the community.

Leaders are still discussing possible changes and solutions for the future of local economic development. It is definitely a discussion worth having and a good first step to demonstration that Orange County is open for business.

We look forward to seeing concrete proposals from university, town and county leaders on how to better improve economic development in Orange County.