Don’t annex me, bro: Local and state property owners need more rights

Involuntary annexation isn’t exactly as sexy or attention-grabbing as other political issues like abortion and health care, but it is one that affects communities all over the state.

The policy that allows annexation without the consent of property owners is unfair and should be reevaluated by the General Assembly.

Over the last few years Carrboro has involuntarily annexed several neighborhoods that never wanted to be a part of Carrboro.

When former Carrboro mayoral candidate Brian Voyce — whose neighborhood was involuntarily annexed — was asked about moving to Carrboro by The Daily Tar Heel in 2007, he answered by saying “I didn’t…Carrboro moved to me.”

North Carolina is one of the few states that still allows involuntary annexations. This policy lets towns and municipalities grow and incorporate new pieces of land, often without the consent of the property owners, that will be subject to new taxes and fees.

Voluntary annexations, in which property owners request to become a part of a town, do occur and are not controversial.

As written, the current laws governing annexation give all of the power to towns and municipalities — leaving property owners few options when it comes to having input in the process.

So far this session North Carolina legislators have introduced at least four bills addressing annexation policy.

Current legislation seeks only to ban involuntary annexation or repeal recent controversial annexations.

This legislation is a good start. The General Assembly should continue to work to enact meaningful annexation reform that gives property owners more rights when it comes to involuntary annexation.