Free advice, contests at DTH fair

4291_housing_fair_erin_hullf.jpg

Students check out a booth at last year’s Daily Tar Heel Housing Fair. This year’s fair will begin at 10 a.m. on February 2 in the Great Hall.

Looking for a place to live? The Daily Tar Heel Housing Fair is a good place to start. With over 30 different participants, the event promises lots of valuable information about on- and off-campus housing. And if all else fails, there are lots of free giveaways too.

The fair will take place in the Great Hall of the Student Union from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on February 2, 2011.

Among the participants are major off-campus apartment complexes such as the Verge, Chapel Ridge and Stratford Hills Apartments. They will set up booths to offer information about prices, amenities and attractions.

Leah Norris of the Verge said that the fair is a great way for off-campus locations to maintain a presence among younger students. In fact, Norris said that the Verge is returning because of the positive reception in past years.

“It’s definitely more of a one-on-one interaction. It’s easier for someone to come up to us,” Norris said. “It’s great to be able to speak to them at the housing fair where they have time to ask their questions.”

Freshman Brian Morrow agreed with her approach.

“The housing fair seems like a great idea. I’ve looked online for various apartments, but I feel like a fair sort of consolidates the information into an easier-to-digest environment. Truth be told, a lot of housing info on the Internet is difficult to find,” Morrow said.

Morrow explained that he would attend the fair because of the ease of finding information.
“I already have ideas about where I want to live, but nothing is concrete so this will be helpful in solidifying any decisions,” he said.

Senior Karla Capacetti said that the fair is perfect for students like Morrow.

“I think for underclassmen it would be a good idea, especially those who are transitioning to off-campus, because it will motivate them to search around for the best housing” she said.

Jill Powell, Department of Housing and Residential Education marketing manager, explained UNC Housing’s involvement.

“Our interest in having students come to our table is to help answer any questions about the somewhat complicated housing selection process 2011-2012,” Powell said.

“We are committed to making sure everyone understands the process, because we know if students understand their options, they are more likely to end up with a housing assignment they are satisfied with,” she explained.

For students who need an extra incentive to attend, senior Zach Martin agreed that free giveaways would likely draw more students to the fair.

“Give out free shirts or something. Maybe have free food. People are always looking for free stuff,” Martin said.

With sentiment like Martin’s in mind, Norris said that the Verge plans on distributing flyers and handouts as well as holding a contest to generate interest.

“We’ll set up a table and have free items as well as pamphlets and full color brochures. Sometimes we’ll run a contest,” Norris said. “Usually it’s a raffle, like a scratch-off lottery ticket for a gift card.”

UNC Housing is also holding a contest. The Cribs contest calls on all students to submit photos of their rooms, either on- or off-campus. The best rooms receive either the first pick in the UNC housing lottery or $150 in groceries from Whole Foods.

“We can show students what other buildings look like that they may have never been able to go inside before,” Powell said. “Both new students to UNC and current students really enjoy getting a visual of what a room looks like versus trying to guess by looking at a 2-D floor plan.

“We can have a quick chat with a student and help them understand how to maneuver the housing selection process to their advantage,” Powell said. “They leave feeling confident about the process and excited about all the options available to them for staying on campus another year while still meeting their changing needs.”

Older students doubt the effectiveness of the fair.

“It seems like looking on the Internet would be a more suitable way of searching for housing,” Martin said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.