SBP candidates pledge a drama-free runoff

3982_leef.jpg
Senior business majors Jeff Schafer and Brian Doran were in an argument Friday night in the parking lot of La Rez that resulted in a gun bring pulled on them. Schafer said the argument began with a disagreement and just kept escalating.Candidates announced their campaign to run for SPB. The candidates are in the collecting signature stage of the process.

With an election marred by complaints, hearings and injunctions behind them, the candidates for student body president said they are looking forward to the calm after the storm.

On Thursday, after learning that he would not move on to the runoff election, Rick Ingram said he would consider filing a complaint challenging the Board of Elections’ decision to confirm the candidacy of Ian Lee. On Sunday, Ingram said he would not file that complaint.

“I’m choosing not to file,” Ingram said in a text message to The Daily Tar Heel. “I believe the students are ready for this election cycle to be over, and I don’t want to be the one to perpetuate an already frustrating situation.”

Though runoff elections often have lower voter turnout, Ingram said he thinks even fewer will vote in Friday’s runoff election due to the setbacks that prolonged this year’s election cycle.

Any complaint by Ingram would have echoed the suit filed Feb. 7 by Deanna Santoro, who resigned her role as speaker of Student Congress to challenge the board’s decision to confirm Lee, the student body secretary, as a candidate. She argued that the Student Code prohibits the student body secretary and other high-ranking student government officials from campaigning.

The two top candidates, Mary Cooper and Lee, said they will look past the issues and negativity that defined the first stage of the race and set their sights on Friday.

“I was excited to get back on the campaign trail … and to move past what has been a really dirty election,” said Lee, who garnered 25 percent of the vote, second to Cooper’s 39 percent.

Cooper said a clean, interruption-free runoff is in everyone’s best interest.

“The campus is getting over the pettiness of the complaints,” she said. “We really strive to have a campaign that’s positive and that tries to inspire others.”

Lee said he is looking forward to discussing his platform and ideas rather than the past conflicts.

“It’s not going to be a drama-filled runoff,” he said. “It’s going to be talking about issues, rebuilding a positive reputation for student government and inspiring students to get involved and to take action.”

Both candidates plan to use their week of campaigning to reengage students after the delay and increase their presence on campus.

“The game plan is to step it up a notch and reach more students and get them excited about elections again,” Lee said.

Neither Ingram nor the other former candidate, Brooklyn Stephens, has endorsed a candidate. Stephens said she does not plan on doing so.

“I believe that students have the ability to make their own decisions,” she said.

Ingram said he might endorse a candidate but hasn’t yet made up his mind. He said he plans to make a decision by early this week.

Voting will open at midnight Friday and close at 10 p.m. The results will be announced shortly afterward.

Andrew Phillips, the board’s chairman, said he thinks the candidates aren’t the only ones who are ready for the election to conclude.

“My general sense is that the student body is happy to get back to business as usual,” he said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.