Sunday September 25th

UCS hosts Myers-Briggs personality test workshop

College is a time when many students grapple with their future career choices.

But many could save themselves the trouble with one simple test.

In an effort to help students determine career goals, University Career Services held a workshop Thursday explaining the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. The test uses a questionnaire that pinpoints four psychological preferences to measure how people perceive the world and make decisions.

“It is one of many tools that can help students make career decisions,” Ray Angle, director of University Career Services and leader of the event, said in an e-mail.

“There are clear patterns that relate to personality preferences and career choice which can give students ideas when they are selecting potential careers,” he said.

Angle said the test can also help students understand themselves and others better, which prepares them to understand workplace dynamics.

Although the students did not take the actual test during the workshop, they selected their personality traits out of a range of options and Angle gave them career suggestions based their choices.

Students said they agreed with Angle that the test can help people understand themselves and others better.

“It can help you realize how you relate to other people. Like how you and another person might agree or disagree about something and how you can work it out,” said Steven Littleton, a junior psychology and international studies major.

Joni Clayton, a sophomore business major, said she also benefited from taking a self-assessed version of the type indicator.

“It helped me know myself better. And it’s helpful for business, especially working in teams because it helps you learn how others think.”

Another Myers-Briggs workshop will be held in 238B Hanes Hall on March 22 from 4 p.m to 5 p.m.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022