Variety show to bene?t mental health groups

Sold out event held at restored school

Songs, skits and readings will fill the air of a former school this weekend, when a variety radio show will be held and recorded to raise money for four area mental health agencies.

The 1930s Murphey School, restored by Jay Miller and his wife Ebeth Scott-Sinclair in 2008, will host the sold-out Murphey School Radio Show on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

“We knew we wanted to do a fundraiser,” Miller said. “The building looks 1930s, so we had the idea to do a sort of radio show, which is very 1930s.”

Miller owns the Shared Visions Foundation, which helps local non-profit service agencies.

He said he has worked extensively with the four benefiting mental health agencies: Freedom House Recovery Center, Mental Health America of the Triangle, Cross Disability Services (XDS Inc.) and Club Nova.

“Jay makes it possible for us to do the work that we do,” said Mark Sullivan, executive director of Mental Health America of the Triangle.

Donna Campbell, a principal at Minnow Media in Carrboro, is producing the event and coordinating all talent and technical aspects.

“It’s sort of like juggling plates, I guess,” she said.

She and her work partner met with Miller and together decided to do a radio show, inspired by a televised music festival.

The show will be published as a podcast a few weeks after the event.

The abundance of talent in the Chapel Hill area made finding volunteer performers easy, Campbell said.

“In the Triangle, if you throw a typewriter you’ll hit a writer,” she said.

The show will feature performances from local artists and comedians as well as readings from area authors, including UNC professors Daniel Wallace and Bland Simpson.

Thomas Millisor, director of development for Freedom House, said he is grateful for the event because it raises both awareness and funds.

Located in Chapel Hill, Freedom House provides mental health and substance abuse services.

“Our funding is slowly eroding,” Millisor said. “It’s a tragic story, especially because 30 percent of our patients are poor, homeless and addicted to almost anything.

“The awareness that this event will raise is a great boon, and there’s a little money involved too.”

“This is our first time trying this event, but we hope to hold it twice a year,” Miller said.

“Mental health is something I’m really interested in, so I’m thrilled to see where this goes.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.