Case, Deshpande share vision in Innovate@Carolina series

Innovation has been heavily stressed on campus this year, and on Monday two entrepreneurial heavyweights came to share their experiences.

Chancellor Holden Thorp held a forum on Monday night with Steve Case, co-founder of American Online, and Gururaj “Desh” Deshpande, founder of the Deshpande Foundation, which promotes entrepreneurship as a catalyst for change in the United States and India.

To begin the Innovate@Carolina speaker series event, Case discussed his decision to leave a promising job to work with a company named GameLine, but after plummeting sales, he left.

“I learned a lot from the company,” Case said. “A lot of it was perseverance and sticking with your ideas even though there’s lots of ups and downs.”

Deshpande, also the chairman of Sparta Group LLC, said that while many start-ups have a “near death” experience, those experiences actually help broaden their comfort zones and help them in future endeavours.

He also said that innovation and experience are only one part of the formula for success.

“Innovation plus relevance equals impact,” he said.

Case said he had always been fascinated with being able to connect people through the Internet but had to fight through adversity before becoming successful.

“I remember spending several years trying to convince PC manufacturers to put modems in PCs, saying someday people will want to actually connect these devices to other devices,” Case said. “People in the ‘80s thought that was far-fetched.”

But in 1985, he co-founded America Online, a company that changed the Internet and the way people connect to each other.

Case said he never lost sight of his vision and has seen the world become incredibly more connected as a result.

“I couldn’t predict how long it would take,” he said. “I couldn’t predict if AOL would win or lose or if another company would, but I always did believe it would fundamentally change how people communicated and got information.”

Case and Deshpande are on campus for the first meeting of President Barack Obama’s National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, of which Thorp is also a member.

Monday’s speech was part of the Innovate@Carolina series, a brainchild of Thorp’s, who has made innovation and entrepreneurship his main focus as chancellor.

“The mechanical things that they’re talking about in the University about how we can have more impact, I think that’s really important,” Thorp said.

“But I think it’s even more important that the students are in an environment where that’s happening, so that when you leave here, it can multiply whatever we’re doing here by 250,000.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.