Dutch ambassador to U.S. visits UNC

Discusses foreign policy views

6030_dutch_ambassador_carter_mccallf.jpg
UNC Executive Director for the Arts Emil Kand and Dutch Ambassador Renee Jones-Bos great each other outside Memorial Hall on Tuesday during her visit to UNC. Carolina Performing Arts is hosting hosting perfomances by the Netherlands Dans Theater March 29 and 30.

The Netherlands may be a small country, but Renée Jones-Bos, the Dutch ambassador to the United States, said that it can make big global changes.

At a talk Tuesday afternoon at UNC School of Law, Jones-Bos discussed everything from the importance of shared political values between the U.S. and the Netherlands to Dutch views on foreign policy.

“It’s a great opportunity for students because it’s transparently clear that the world is becoming more international,” said Jack Boger, dean of the law school, in his introduction of Jones-Bos.

The ambassador spoke for an audience of international law students and faculty of the school, which has an exchange relationship with Dutch universities.

Beverly Sizemore, director of international programs at the School of Law, said UNC is working to expand those connections.

Several Dutch exchange students study at UNC, and the law school sent one student to The Hague last year. Another five UNC students visited the city this year.

While the school works to grow scholastic relationships with the country, Jones-Bos has advocated for economic ties between the Netherlands and North Carolina.

The Netherlands has invested in North Carolina companies such as Unilever and Greenville-based DSM Pharmaceuticals. Unilever’s foreign investment ranks sixth largest in the state.

She said one of the biggest concerns of Dutch foreign policy is advocating for human rights while pushing for economic justice.

“Sometimes people say you can’t push for human rights while pursuing business goals, but we believe this is very possible,” she said.

“Human rights are important to the Netherlands. They are vital for business and trade, as well.”

She also said the Netherlands strongly believes in working with the U.S. to support human rights on a global scale. The ambassador referenced the importance of freedom in U.S. history, citing the Dutch who came to the U.S. searching for liberty during the 17th century as an example.

“Whatever you do and wherever you go in the world, you’re the United States, the world’s biggest superpower,” she said. “The world follows you. And we have to keep watch of what you’re doing.”

Sonya Rikhye, a second-year law student and president of the International and Comparative Law Organization, came to the discussion because the International Criminal Court and many other international organizations are based in The Hague.

“It was really a great opportunity for her to come,” she said. “The Hague is a huge source for international law.”

Even though the original purpose of the ambassador’s trip to North Carolina was to see Carolina Performing Arts’ performance of Nederlands Dans Theater, she chose to make additional stops at DSM Pharmaceuticals and the School of Law.

“She was very interested in interacting with student groups,” Sizemore said. “And I jumped on it.”