Elders for Peace Protest 8 years of war

Peace groups gather petition signatures

Photo: Elders for Peace Protest 8 years of war (Eliza Williams)
Juanita Donaldson, of Chapel Hill, along with Members of The Elders for Peace group at the Carol Woods Retirement home protest in front of the US Post Office on West Franklin Street on Friday afternoon. The Elders for Peace collected signatures to bring home American troops

Jean Chapman celebrated her grandson’s birthday Friday by standing in front of the post office on East Franklin Street, holding a sign and asking for peace.

“War begets war begets war begets war” was written on her sign, along with a list of conflicts the U.S. has been involved in.

Chapman, a member of Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, was one of six participants of a peace rally put on by the local group Elders for Peace.

Hoping to call attention to the eighth anniversary of the beginning of the Iraq War, the protestors held anti-war signs and interacted with students and community members to gather signatures on a petition to end the war.

“Our point is quality, not quantity,” said Lois Hobbs, a member of Elders for Peace.

The group, founded in 2002 and based out of a retirement community, has about 20 active members and more than 100 subscribers on an e-mail list, said Vivian Plonsey, co-founder of the group.

Plonsey said many members are unable to participate actively because of their age, but they contribute financially and participate by writing letters to congressmen and printing petitions, she said.

Hobbs said Elders for Peace has met every week since 2002, a year before the war in Iraq began, and focuses on promoting peace in general.

“We don’t miss a week because we feel the issues are current,” she said.

Twice a month, the group also hosts speakers or views films, events that attract many participants, Hobbs said.

And the group has seen results from their efforts, Hobbs said.

She said they helped influence Rep. David Price, D-N.C., against voting for the Iraq War, but the group should not receive all the credit.

“There was an outpouring of support against voting for the Iraq War,” she said.

The group holds demonstrations when the members feel there is a reason to call attention to something, Hobbs said,

Whenever they plan a vigil, they send out an e-mail to all the peace organizations that belong to the Orange County Peace Coalition, and they are joined by other groups.

Chapman, though not a member of Elders for Peace, described herself as a friend of the organizations and said the local peace groups often work together.

Chapel Hill resident Wes Hare was also not a member of the group, but he participated with a shirt and a sign calling for peace.

He said he attends many of the organization’s demonstrations.

“When they’re out here, I come,” he said.

Contact the City Editor ?at city@dailytarheel.com.