Judicial District Executive Council to discuss court issues

Orange, Chatham counties to improve system

Orange and Chatham counties are working to improve communications between court offices through a new judicial council.

The two counties formed the Judicial District Executive Council, composed of six representatives from judicial offices in each county, to make policy changes and improve collaboration.

Allen Baddour, resident superior court judge of Orange and Chatham counties, said the council will provide a way to implement changes to the judicial process, something that has been difficult in the past.

“There’s not a clear-cut agenda or plan, other than to discuss whatever we need to do to be more efficient,” Baddour said.

The first meeting was held March 11, during which the council discussed overcrowded jails as well as how the Chatham County courthouse will function as renovations continue. A fire destroyed part of the building a little more than a year ago.

The next meeting will be held May 5 in Pittsboro.

Throughout all the meetings, the council plans to consult stakeholders like probation and law enforcement officers in their decisions.

“It’s not a council that will make decisions in a vacuum,” Baddour said.

James Stanford, Orange County clerk of superior court, said he hopes the council will improve an existing gap in communication.

He said decisions made by one office could negatively affect another if changes aren’t discussed with all involved parties. Stanford also said the council plans to alternate meeting places in the two counties to make it easier for each of the group’s six members to attend.

“We’re a new team, so were making it up as we go,” he said.

The inspiration for the council’s formation came from the Judicial District Executive Seminar hosted by the UNC School of Government.

A team from the Orange-Chatham judiciary district attended the seminar, which was held in three sessions from December to February.

Jim Drennan, the faculty coordinator for the seminar and a school of government professor, said the seminar invites teams from judicial districts across the state to participate in collaborative exercises designed to help them work together.

“There are so many things within the court system which prevent effective communication,” he said.

Drennan said the authority of the courts is spread over many offices, and the system doesn’t always encourage cooperation. He said certain court offices, like the district attorney and public defenders, are naturally antagonistic.

“The seminars give people a set of shared experiences that they can build on to create a governing structure that works for them,” Drennan said.

Orange and Chatham County District Attorney Jim Woodall said decisions are too often made without consulting other offices, and the council will help alleviate that friction.

“By communicating and bouncing ideas off each other, we’ll do a better job in planning for the future,” Woodall said. “It’s a unique undertaking.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.