Let’s all strive to be like Goran

Humble doesn’t even begin to describe Dr. Goran Jovic. For 18 years, the moustached, Yugoslavian-born plastic surgeon has been working tirelessly throughout Zambia, without any trace of an ego.

I was lucky enough to meet this eccentric, cuddly grandpa of a man this past summer while interning in southern Africa. Looking back, I have to say he was hands-down the most impressive, hardworking man I had or have ever seen in the nonprofit sector.

He sure as hell inspired me, but his selfless work would be inspirational to anyone.

Dr. Jovic proudly takes the title as the only plastic surgeon in the entire nation of Zambia. Meanwhile, if you Google “plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills,” you are greeted with more than 450,000 results (but that’s no surprise for any “Real Housewives” addicts).

But making leathery, sagging faces into leathery, less saggy faces isn’t the name of the game for Dr. Jovic.

As the only plastic surgeon in the nation, Dr. Jovic sees countless burn victims, cleft palates and any other superficial deformities one can imagine. For some Zambians, Jovic is their only hope at a normal, functional life in an extremely poverty-stricken nation.

With help from American nongovernmental organization ReSurge International, Dr. Jovic has been able to treat thousands of patients, many of whom are charity cases from the local orphanage, Lusaka’s own Cheshire house.

Think your work schedule is hard? Try having a seven-day workweek. You heard right, seven days.

Also, as if that isn’t enough, he’s a professional pilot.

That’s because every week, without fail (he only misses one week a year, when Easter rolls around), Dr. Jovic takes his small, single-propeller Cessna 206 out of the hangar and flies to rural clinics throughout every province of Zambia. He flies off the runway on Thursday and makes it home just in time for dinner on Sunday.

I would probably feel comfortable designating Dr. Jovic as the biggest “BA” in plastic surgery.

However, after meeting Goran, my mind couldn’t help but think back to our little slice of heaven here in Chapel Hill, to our own socially-conscious BA’s (yes, that’s an intentional play on words, and a bad one at that).

Now, we don’t work seven-day workweeks, and I don’t know anyone taking a stab at plastic surgery (please excuse the pun), but this same spirit of service can be found throughout Chapel Hill.

We are extremely lucky to attend a University as involved and justice-driven as UNC. The Campus Y has been a fixture on our campus for 150 years, UNC ranks third among large schools in the number of Peace Corps volunteers, and there are constantly 5Ks, concerts and petitions.

This time of year, when the weather gets warmer, pollen covers literally everything and Pit preachers gain a little bit of confidence, we are bombarded with voices, events and fundraisers.

It can be frustrating, I know, but think about it — we should be thankful and proud our student body is so inspired, so driven, so Goran-like.

UNC students don’t have time to slum for basketball tickets or learn animal husbandry. We’re Tar Heels, and we make things happen.

Troy Smith is a columnist for the Daily Tar Heel. He is a junior public policy and Arab cultures major from Deep Run. Contact him at tgsmith@email.Unc.Edu.