Movie Review: Rango

Given the fact that 3D is still in its infancy, it is oddly inspiring to see an animation that grounds itself solely in two dimensions. Gore Verbinski’s “Rango” is a 2D breath of fresh air in an industry oversaturated with the tinge of haphazard 3D.

Revolving around a pet lizard who finds himself outside of his terrarium, the film could be classified as an existential westerner, paying homage to the likes of Stanley Kubrick and “Chinatown.”

Just as odd as its classification, the film’s narrative is a touch convoluted in the sheer absurdity of its events. There is a rattlesnake with a resemblance to western icon Lee Van Cleef, a mariachi band of owls who break the fourth wall and a hilariously trippy conversation with the Spirit of the West.

“Rango” is a movie meant for both adults and children but not in the lovable Pixar way. Kids will see a quirky cast of animals who embark on a seemingly innocent adventure. The older crowd — at least those who are not initially turned off by the flashy presentation — will find a clever, self-aware movie full of allusions that go beyond Shrek’s cultural references.

Verbinski is not afraid to throw convention out the window. With Johnny Depp voicing the protagonist, a hint of Jack Sparrow’s peculiar charm meshes quite well with the overall feel of the film. Proving that 2D and originality still remain relevant in animation, “Rango” stands at the forefront of 2011 and hopefully sets the standard for things to come.