New Hope Elementary students gain confidence by reading to therapy dogs

Visitors to New Hope Elementary School shouldn’t be alarmed to find dogs roaming the school’s hallways.

Students at the school read out loud to one of five therapy dogs to help improve their reading skills through a program called Pet Pals, started by school counselor Kim Kelleher.

Dogs visited classrooms Thursday morning in one of their many visits since the program was started by Kelleher in January.

“I attended an Orange County Schools meeting where a social worker talked to us about the program,” Kelleher said.

“I introduced it to New Hope, and right away, 27 teachers lined up to participate.”

Students from kindergarten through fifth grade participate in the program, and Kelleher said she has seen the biggest improvement in those who are less confident in their reading skills.

“The students who stutter, or the ones who are apprehensive and nervous about reading, they’ve been benefitting the most,” Kelleher said.

The dogs and their handlers are affiliated with the non-profit organization Delta Society. The society works to connect therapy, service and companion animals with people who need them. The program is free for the school.

Kristen Lovette, a fourth-grade teacher and self-described animal lover, said she is enthusiastic about the program.

“The kids are very used to reading out loud anyway, but this program is especially great,” Lovette said. “They really, truly feel the dog is listening, so they want to read at their best fluency and expression.”

Since there are far more students than dogs, Lovette puts the children in groups of four that take turns reading short passages.
Despite the short amount of time she gets to spend reading to the dogs, fourth-grader Colby Rabalais said she enjoys the program.

“I think it’s very exciting that they are letting us read to them,” she said. “The dogs are so nice and calm. I love them.”

Students of all grade levels are participating in the program, and many teachers are selecting books about dogs for them to read.

Kelleher said she has been turning over a lot of the responsibilities that come with running the program to the school’s student council.

Palmer Turnbull, a fifth-grader who is the principal volunteer with the program, escorts the dogs and their handlers to classrooms and helps with anything the handlers may need.

“I get to spend time with dogs and meet new people, and it just feels good to help,” he said.

“I think it helps younger kids and older kids. It’s way more comfortable to read to dogs than an audience.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.