Orange County creates panel to review health director applicants

Orange County is making progress in its search for a new health director as it takes early steps to fill the position.

The county appointed a panel of Board of Health members to review potential candidates to fill the position vacated by Rosemary Summers, who is retiring after 30 years in the department.

“We need someone that can build upon what’s here and look for innovation and collaboration within private sector and public sector providers,” County Manager Frank Clifton said.

The board decided at a February meeting to hire an interim health director to lead the department during the selection process, Board of Health Chairwoman Anissa Vines wrote in an email.

“The business of the health department will continue as usual throughout the process,” she said.

The interim health director will be placed in office after May 31 — Summers’ last day as director — although the position has not been filled yet.

“An interim health director will enable a transition of leadership and give the Board of Health adequate time to identify a highly qualified candidate for the permanent position.”

The board has not set a deadline for selecting a permanent director or determined the new salary for the future health director, but it has decided on the necessary credentials for potential candidates.

“We just want to get the best person possible,” Clifton said.

Although she will not play a role in the board’s selection process, Summers has left her mark as Orange County’s long-time health director.

Summers began as a volunteer in the health department and worked her way to the top position, building an experienced staff during her tenure.

“My legacy is that we have an excellent staff,” Summers said. “We are able to meet the needs of Orange County.”

However, recent health care reforms, including the health care bill passed in the U.S. Congress March 30, 2010, have created new challenges for allocating funds for the department, Summers said.

“Responding to the health care reform will be a big undertaking over the next couple years,” she said.

The Orange County Health Department provides health care services, dental services and nutritional services to county residents.

The department is constructing new health buildings and dental clinics as part of a new strategic health plan for the county.

“The new health director will have to determine the direction the department will take and will have to respond to this new undertaking over the next few years,” Summers said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.