Wednesday November 30th

Political science professor George Rabinowitz dies

An earlier version of the story mis-stated ownership of the blog where the news was posted. Is is maintained by UNC faculty and graduate students.

George Rabinowitz, a political science professor known for his groundbreaking work in the field of American politics, died this weekend from a heart attack.

Evelyne Huber, chairwoman of the political science department, was notified Saturday morning of Rabinowitz’s death in an e-mail from his wife, Stuart McDonald, said John Stephens, a political science professor.

The news was posted earlier tonight on a blog maintained by several UNC political science faculty and graduate students.

Rabinowitz and his wife were in Trondheim, Norway conducting research. He taught a large variety of political science courses for decades at the University, including POLI 100, Introduction to U.S. Government.

Rabinowitz was known for his theory of directional voting, which challenged the traditional median voter theory by arguing that individuals prefer candidates who are further to the right or left – depending on the individual’s affiliation – rather than the center.

Stephens said he was shocked to learn of Rabinowitz’s death.

“He was in extremely good physical shape,” Stephens said. “He swam on a regular basis and he was a golfer. He was very fit so it’s very shocking.”

You can share your memories of Rabinowitz with the Daily Tar Heel here, or by Tweeting at @DailyTarHeel.

Assistant University Editor Jeanna Smialek contributed reporting.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2022 Year in Review