UNC prefers warm weather

Tar Heels are an ‘outdoor team’

When the weather gets warm, the Tar Heels would rather play their tennis outdoors.

But they don’t mind playing inside, either.

North Carolina men’s tennis split its two matches this weekend between the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center’s indoor and outdoor courts.

Playing Maryland outside on Friday, No. 15 North Carolina had little difficulty in a 6-1 win. When rain and cold forced them inside on Sunday, they won even more handily, sweeping Boston College 7-0.

Tar Heel junior Brennan Boyajian said the team prefers being able to play outside, even though the sweep came indoors.

“We’re an outdoor team,” Boyajian said.

“We have a lot of kids from Florida, California, Arizona. It makes a difference, and we’re showing it. Outdoor conditioning and all that shows, and our hard work off the court has paid off on the court.”

Four players from those states – Boyajian, senior Stefan Hardy, redshirt junior Joey Burkhardt and junior Zach Hunter – were in North Carolina’s singles lineup on Friday. Only Hunter lost his match.

Burkhardt had lost back-to-back outdoor matches in super tiebreakers. But given the opportunity to play the set in full, as the match was not yet decided against the Terrapins, he said his conditioning helped him outlast his opponent.

“I’ve always been good with my conditioning,” Burkhardt said. “But in the past two matches, I had to play 10-point tiebreakers instead of third sets. It was nice to play the third set, because a big part of my game is endurance.”

North Carolina coach Sam Paul said he was glad Burkhardt finally got the chance to finish out an entire match.

“It’s good any time the kids can play out a match, especially early in the season,” Paul said. “It helps condition them, and it’s a truer indicator of where your game is. Anything can happen in a breaker. Plus, Joey didn’t play earlier in the season so he needs more match play.”

Hardy, who won both his weekend singles matches in straight sets, said players need to adjust when changing between indoor and outdoor tennis.

“Outside, the ball bounces higher, conditions become a factor, and the courts can have different surfaces,” Hardy said. “But I’d definitely rather be outside. I like playing under the sun.”

Paul said the team plays well inside and outside. But he said when they do play outdoors, even in February and March, he wants the weather to be hot.

“I wish it was hot every day,” Paul said. “We’d get in great condition, and we know that’s what’s coming around the horn in April for the ACC Championships and May for the NCAA Championships. The hotter, the better.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.