Patti Thorp loves art, theater, the chancellor

Photo: Patti Thorp loves art, theater, the chancellor (Bailey Seitter)
Patti Thorp looks over some items from the auction with assistant director of development Shane Hudson. Thorp is this year's chair of the auction.

Patti Worden was not expecting to find both her future career and future husband when she was 12 years old.

Worden (now Patti Thorp) auditioned for a part in “Peter Pan” at Cape Fear Regional Theatre — owned by Chancellor Holden Thorp’s mother.

“My vocal teacher dragged me to this small theater in Fayetteville to audition for some shows in eighth grade,” she said.

“Holden played John, and I was ‘the second blond Indian from the left’. Holden’s mother was always trying to get kids involved, which meant she mostly had to be in control of a bunch of untalented children.”

Though her role was small, Thorp said it got her hooked on theater.

“By college, I never really thought I was going to major in drama, but then suddenly I realized I had nothing else,” she said.

After receiving a bachelor’s degree in performance from UNC-Greensboro, Thorp spent a year as an administration intern at Actors Theatre of Louisville in Louisville, Ky.

After her time there, she was accepted to Yale University’s theater management master’s program.

The summer before she went to Yale, Thorp said that she ran into an old friend from home.

“I saw Holden when I was home, and he sent me a card that said, ‘I’d follow you anywhere, as long as there’s a good chemistry department,’” she said. “Well, Yale had a great chemistry department, so he came there with me.”

Now, as UNC’s first lady, Thorp serves as the chair of the Friends of PlayMakers Advisory Council, where she helps connect PlayMakers Repertory Company with the rest of the community.

“She is always sharing her enthusiasm about theater with the people she meets,” said Hannah Grannemann, managing director of PlayMakers. “We’re privileged to have her choose us as one of her leadership priorities.”

Despite widespread budget cuts, Thorp has high hopes for the future of PlayMakers.

“We are trying to push PlayMakers into a more national level, and, as a theater person, I’m so proud of it,” Thorp said.

Though theater was a huge part of her life before starting a family, Thorp says she does not miss performing.

“Being an actor takes up so much of your life,” she said. “There are things I miss about acting, like performing with Holden, but not many.”

Thorp said theater is something that all students should get involved in, whether it’s through performing or just attending the University’s shows.

“Theater adds heart to any campus,” she said. “We get to hold this mirror onto society and look at every body’s different quirks, so everyone can support it.”

Others at UNC have noticed Thorp’s love of the arts, including Student Body President Hogan Medlin, who appointed her to his Arts Innovation Steering Committee.

“Patti was not only instrumental in connecting us to ideas for students locally, but, as the first lady, she was so helpful in lending the ear of the Chancellor to the issues we were most interested in,” Medlin said.

“Her love for this place is unparalleled.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.