UNC-system leaders to de?ne ‘unnecessary duplication’

For weeks UNC-system administrators have been using the phrase “unnecessary duplication” in discussions regarding the upcoming budget cuts.

But exactly what the phrase means and how it will be applied at universities across the system is still unclear.

Administrators hope to provide some clarity this month.

UNC-system President Thomas Ross first used the phrase in January when he announced a review of all 2,000 degree programs to identify duplicate programs that universities could eliminate.

Jim Woodward, former chancellor of UNC-Charlotte and N.C. State University who is spearheading the review, said the initial discovery phase of the review will begin this month.

He said the first step in the process is meeting with the different campuses’ chief academic officers, the system’s Board of Governors and chancellors.

“And in all of those meetings, we’re going to figure out what does (unnecessary duplication) mean to people,” Woodward said. “I think it’s important that all the key members have a consensus.”

At the same time, research will be conducted on how other university systems have done similar studies.

A criteria will be developed to see what falls under unnecessary duplication by the end of the spring, Woodward said.

And in the summer, universities will start implementing the review’s recommendations and make appropriate cuts to academic programs.

By fall of 2011, Woodward said he expects to see some outcome.

The review is in response to the continuous decrease in state appropriations.

The University system has already lost $620 million in four years and expects to lose millions more this year. After slashing 900 positions from the administrative side, system leaders are using the review as a way to make strategic cuts to the academic side.

To cope with the state’s at least $2.4 billion budget shortfall, Gov. Bev Perdue’s budget proposal for the upcoming fiscal year called for a 9.5 percent reduction in the system’s operating budget and 6 percent cut in overall budget.

Ross said in January the review would lead to long-term savings and also help universities develop niche missions.

Because of prior commitments, Woodward was unable to devote time to the review until now. He met with Ross last week to discuss the timeline of the review.

“March 1 all along was the date we would begin some activity. This is consistent with the schedule. (Ross) has said that he wants this done thoroughly and appropriately rather than fast.”

Contact the State and National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.