Student Government is beginning a push to break down the barriers between the student body and the arts community.

Carolina Creative Arts — a week-long celebration co-sponsored by student government’s arts advocacy committee and the Carolina Union Activities Board — will kick off with a screening of “Entourage” star Adrian Grenier’s documentary film, “Teenage Paparazzo.”

The series of events will highlight a wide variety of artistic mediums. Campus arts groups and Hollywood artists alike will host various workshops to showcase their art forms.

“We want to show students how you can bring these different mediums together and make something new,” said Ian Lee, student body secretary.

“Innovation is more than just creativity, and we want to show students that art can have an impact on campus, and they can be a part of it.”

This year’s celebration is the most comprehensive week-long arts festival at UNC, said Ben Neal, arts advocacy committee co-chair.
Students will be able to interact with a mobile free expression wall, a participate in a student film festival and receive caricature drawings.

“We want to really, at least in some way, touch almost the entire student population,” Neal said.

In snagging three big name speakers, Student Body President Hogan Medlin attributed luck and good timing.

Grenier will host a showing of his documentary, “Teenage Paparazzo,” and speak about the importance of film documentaries Saturday.

And on Thursday, former “Frasier” star David Hyde Pierce and his husband, writer Brian Hargrove will provide a unique lecture on TV acting and writing.

Next year’s Carolina Creative Arts festival will be taken over by the Art Innovation Steering Committee, created by Medlin to find new ways to support the arts and creativity at UNC.

Lee said incoming Student Body President Mary Cooper will continue the tradition of the committee.

“The culture of the arts exists and it shouldn’t be a subculture,” Medlin said. “It should be an integrated culture.”

Sarah McGuire, also a co-chair for the arts advocacy committee, said she wants the festival to bring together the entire student body.

“Our goal for this week is to be able to present to the art community — as well as those who aren’t involved in the arts at all — a really consolidated version of what happens on campus all the time.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.