Forcella will lead schools

New superintendent will face budget challenge soon

Photo: Forcella will lead schools (Katie Sweeney)
Dr. Thomas a. Forcella was introduced as the new Superintendent of Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools at the Board of Education Special Meeting, held at Smith Middle School. Previously Dr. Forcella held the position of Superintendent of Guilford Connecticut Public Schools.

Thomas Forcella, the next superintendent of Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, has accepted the challenge of filling some very large shoes.

The district’s Board of Education announced Forcella’s selection at a Thursday night meeting.

Forcella is replacing Neil Pedersen, who has held the position for 19 years and is the longest-serving superintendent in district history.

“The progress you’ve made over the last several years will certainly serve me well over my tenure,” said Forcella, who has been the superintendent of Guilford Public Schools in Connecticut since December 2005.

“You will all find out quickly that I believe a positive culture that places the emphasis on student learning is critical.”

Forcella received his bachelor’s degree from Central Connecticut State University and his Doctorate in educational management from the University of Bridgeport.

“Every child should experience a motto of continuous improvement,” Forcella said.

“I think that with a clear focus on instruction, amazing things can happen.”

At the meeting, school board members all welcomed Forcella and shared their opinions on his appointment.

School board member Annetta Streater said Forcella’s background is very impressive.

“He really created bridges between groups of students that have historically been disconnected,” she said.

School board member Mike Kelley said that Forcella is likely to go on a “listening tour” across the district, talking to principals, parents and administrators about what they’d like to see him do.

Forcella will face large budget cuts when he assumes his position in July.

If the N.C. General Assembly approves the state budget by June, the school board will be able to decide its budget about a month later.

“The budget will obviously be his first challenge, but many other aspects are more stable and performing very well,” said district spokeswoman Stephanie Knott.

“All in all, he inherits a good situation.”

Pedersen saw more than half of the system’s 17 schools constructed during his term and established Smith Middle School as the southeast’s first nationally certified environmentally-friendly school.

“He oversaw the enormous growth spurt (of Chapel Hill and Carrboro),” Board Vice-Chairwoman Mia Burroughs said.

“Dr. Pedersen is an unflappable, perceptive, hard-working leader who showed dedication every day to all the students.”

After Pedersen announced his retirement last July, the school board began the nationwide search for his replacement and sought public input.

Dan Rockaway, a member of Glenwood Elementary School’s school improvement team, said he has high expectations for the future superintendent.

“I hope to see Forcella close the achievement gap and also focus on 21st century skills,” he said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.