Music Review: AgesandAges

After being discouraged by the crowds in his native Portland, Ore., former Pseudosix frontman Tim Perry looked to remedy listeners’ disinterest with more exciting songs.

Thus AgesandAges was born. The group’s debut effort, Alright You Restless, does well to make the listener want to move with its dancey but unobtrusive tunes. “Exciting” may not be the first word that comes to mind, but at the very least, it’s far from boring.

The record has an overall polish that makes the band sound seasoned. The mastering breaks through just enough to make record feel professional, but there’s still an informal edge that gives the album an air of honesty and reality.

“No Nostalgia” opens the record with country-tinged guitar licks backed by a thick bass drum. The album then drops into “Under a Cloud Shaped Like a Tomb,” a track that rolls along quickly but keeps a an easygoing aura. Perry’s voice spills easily over a sharp and speedy beat, backed by crooning female vocals.

Closing track “Souvenir” finishes the album with a sensible rollick, inviting the listener to spin the record another time. Like the rest of Alright You Restless, it is casual and inviting like the company of an old friend.

Similarly, if you skip the venture, you probably won’t miss much, but you’re also risking losing out on a good time.

While Alright You Restless is fairly standard indie rock fare, it’s undoubtedly well-crafted.

AgesandAges strikes a balance between being upbeat and interesting while still staying mellow. The bright guitars and catchy melodies make this album the perfect record to usher in the coming warm weather months.