Orange County quarter-cent tax increase could generate $2.3 million

The use of revenue for economic development that would come from a possible quarter-cent sales tax increase was explicitly outlined at Thursday’s Board of Orange County Commissioners meeting.

If voters approve the increase in November, it would generate about $2.3 million, of which $1.25 million would be used to stimulate county growth.

County Economic Development Director Gary Shope said talks of how to create that growth are just beginning.

“What we’re trying to create is world-class economic development,” he said.

Voters rejected the tax increase referendum on November 2010’s ballot 51 percent to 49 percent. Commissioners allotted 42.5 percent of the increase’s revenue to economic development, but there were no more specifics of where exactly that money would go.

Of the additional funding dedicated to economic development the tax increase would create, commissioners would put $800,000 toward debt services on water and sewer infrastructure.

The remaining $450,000 would go to development of the county’s small business loan program, incubator space, agricultural development, public communication and business investment grants.

“When the companies out of UNC are being kicked out of the University, where do you put these people? They’ll go to nearby counties,” Shope said when discussing the importance of incubator space.

Commissioner vice chairman Steve Yuhasz, along with Commissioners Alice Gordon and Barry Jacobs, agreed he wanted to allocate funds for initiating cooperation between county and municipality economic development.

Since cuts from the state have not yet been handed down, the board decided to hold off decisions about school funding.

County Manager Frank Clifton said he would like for area schools to let the board know about projects they want to complete in the next 10 years.

“You want to be able to point to something you did with the money,” he said.

In other business, commissioners took a second look at the manager’s recommended 2011-16 Capital Investment Plan, which establishes a program for county improvements by focusing on long-range goals.

The three new projects added to the plan include creating economic development districts in Hillsborough, Eno and Buckhorn-Mebane.

Jacobs expressed concern over a Hillsborough district.

“My experience is that Hillsborough will annex anything as soon as they get a sniff that a developer is interested,” he said.

For now, Clifton said the additions are still in the planning stages, and any projects would have to go through the state before implementation.

Contact the City Editor at City@dailytarheel.com.