Part two for sales tax: Putting sales tax increase on the ballot the right choice

Come November, Orange County residents will have a second opportunity to vote for or against a quarter-cent increase in county sales tax.

This same referendum was on the ballot in November 2010, and voters rejected it by a margin of 51 to 49 percent.

The county made the right decision to put the tax to a vote again. Voters should cast their ballots in favor of the sales tax increase this time around.

With tax increases needed to lessen budget shortfalls anyway, a consumption-based sales tax is more desirable than a property tax increase.

Orange County property taxes are sixth highest in the state and are already onerous enough.

If approved, the sales tax increase would generate around $2.3 million dollars in much-needed county revenue.

Thursday’s Orange County Board of Commissioners meeting outlined how additional revenues would be allocated. Commissioners intend to allocate about two-thirds of the revenue to water and sewage infrastructure and the remaining funds toward various economic development projects.

These economic development projects are crucial for the continued vitality of the broader community.

Times are tough, and a tax increase is certainly not the most enticing item to see on any ballot with an upcoming election.

In 2010, a majority of the rural voters in Orange County were against the sales tax increase.

The county must reach out to these residents, as rural residents are equally likely to benefit from a sales tax increase and its impact on disposable income is negligible.

The county should reach out to residents through as many avenues as possible, ensuring that they all know what the tax goes toward when they vote for it or against it.

A countywide tax increase is needed in one form or another.

Given the current tax structure, a consumption based tax increase is more desirable than a property tax increase.