University’s commitment to the arts questionable

As a leader of an arts group on campus, I have been incredibly surprised just how reluctant the University really is to allow any type of aesthetic change — even temporary — on campus. The Arts Innovation initiative aims to incorporate the arts academically, which by definition alienates a majority of the arts community.
The University exhibits an incredibly myopic view of what art is, and in doing so highlights some of the underlying problems with this “initiative.”

Our University touts a commitment to the arts, yet will not critically evaluate itself and examine the real barriers to arts on campus.

Why must the administration automatically respond negatively, rather than open a conversation about what benefits the arts bring to campus?

Administrators “thump” policy rather than exert the effort to negotiate a mutually acceptable role for the arts on campus.

Though movie screenings, like those of “Arts Week,” are important, they highlight both the limp commitment to the arts and a lack of understanding about the benefits of the arts. If this week embodies the big “hurrah” for arts on campus, we are in quite a sad state.

Art is, I’m sure most will agree, not only what is found in art museums or in concert halls. Why do administrators have absolute authority to not permit artistic installations when the directive of the University aims to incorporate the arts? This is a significant disconnect that is inexcusable and simply upsetting.

Wilson Sayre
Sophomore
Philosophy