Winds wreak havoc for county residents

The winds of more than 60 miles per hour that hit the Triangle on Tuesday morning proved to be too much for many local trees, downing power lines and leaving hundreds of homes without electricity.

More than 225 Orange County residences had no electricity as of 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to Duke Energy’s website.

The storm, which reached North Carolina at 3:30 a.m., left more than 225,000 homes in the state without power. But Chapel Hill saw some of the worst damage, said Betsy Conway, spokeswoman for Duke Energy.

Much of the damage was to power lines, which utility companies are responsible for repairing.

Duke Energy has secured more than 900 crew members from other service areas to help with the process. Crews began assessing the damage and making minor repairs Tuesday morning.

“It does still continue as more folks call in, as the day progresses and more damage is found out,” Conway said.

Conway said major repairs would take multiple days. She did not have an estimated cost of the storm’s damage to the utilities.

Students at East Chapel Hill High School spent three hours without electricity, although all schools in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools district remained open, said Robin Nucilli, publications assistant at the system’s office.

Though the area’s power lines saw some of the worst damage in the state, the other impact to Chapel Hill was small, said Richard Terrell, operations manager for the Chapel Hill Public Works Department.

The storm brought about an inch of rain to the area.

“We have some problems, but it hasn’t been that extensive,” he said. “This is very little cost to the town.”

A fallen oak tree temporarily closed Erwin Road and put out traffic lights on a section of Weaver Dairy Road. Another tree brought down a power line in the area south of Westwood, including Dawes and Monroe streets.

Terrell said street sweepers will clean debris downtown, and waste management will pick up vegetation waste as people move it to the curb.

“Roughly speaking, this is not a major event,” he said. “There will be more of an impact on utilities.”

Gail Hartfield, meteorologist for the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Raleigh, said the storm’s impact was in line with what the weather service anticipated and was comparable to damage in the rest of the Southeast.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheeel.com.