Freshman Shealy provides golden goal in field hockey victory over Wake Forest

Freshman Loren Shealy’s first career goal could not have come at a better time for the North Carolina field hockey team.

In Sunday’s matchup against Wake Forest, UNC scored in the first half to take control of the game 1-0.

After the intermission, Wake Forest answered back early to tie the game at one goal apiece. Both teams were unable to find the back of the net for the rest of the game, and as regulation time ended the Tar Heels found themselves in overtime for the first time this season.

In the extra period, Shealy stepped up in a big way for the Tar Heels.

With less than one minute remaining in the first period of extra time, junior Katie Plyler intercepted an errant Wake Forest pass just inside the 25-yard line and quickly passed it to Kelsey Kolojejchick.

Dribbling toward the goal with time winding down, Kolojejchick slipped a pass just in front of the goalie to Shealy, who knocked in the game-winning goal with just 15 seconds on the clock. Shealy’s goal gave UNC the sudden-death victory.

The freshman said it felt great to score the golden goal for her team.

“To get (my first goal) in the overtime period was really amazing,” Shealy said. “That’s the best way to get a first goal.”

The game-winning goal for UNC came moments after Kolojejchick made an impressive sprint to save the ball in the Wake Forest zone. Kolojejchick was unable to keep the ball in play, but her intensity provided the Tar Heels with the extra pressure they needed to earn the victory.

“I just tried to hustle. I wanted the game over,” Kolojejchick said. “It was a good run, but unfortunately I couldn’t get to it.”

Even though Kolojejchick was unable to catch up with the long clear, the effort she showed in the final minute proved critical to UNC’s victory, and it was appropriate that she assisted Shealy on the winning goal.

The clincher for the Tar Heels came after a number of failed scoring chances in regulation and the majority of the first extra session.

Coach Karen Shelton said her team just has to work through the missed opportunities and poor shooting in order to clean up its game.

“We didn’t play a very pretty game today,” Shelton said. “We grinded this one out.”

at sports@dailytarheel.com.