UNC Interfraternity Council sees no violations during fall rush

7284_0914_frat_filef.jpg
IFC President Brent Macon stands in front of the emblem of his fraternity, Sigma Chi, on Sunday.

The Interfraternity Council saw no violations during its recruitment period this semester for the first time since it was made alcohol-free one year ago.

“Although we do have two cases pending for off-campus events, there weren’t any incidents with official recruitment events,” said Jack Partain, vice president of recruitment for the IFC.

During the spring rush period last semester, the council reported one infraction at an official recruitment event. Partain, who was a member of the IFC group that patrolled recruitment events, said he expected at least three this semester.

“Spring rush is so much smaller that I was really expecting something just because of the sheer size of fall rush,” he said. Fall recruitment ended Sept. 2.

As a result of fall rush, UNC’s fraternity system is now bigger than ever. The average number of new members per chapter went from 13.9 to 16.2, setting a new record, Partain said.

Partain said the growth could have been an effect of the recently changed rush regulations becoming clearer to fraternities.

“A big part of that is that last year’s students were discouraged because of the changes to the Greek system and the general feel from the Board of Trustees,” Partain said.

“Now that these new regulations have been put into practice, fraternities know what to do and are more organized about it.”

While sorority pledge class size operates on a quota system, fraternity pledge classes do not, resulting in larger gaps between the sizes of fraternities.

IFC President Brent Macon said this range of size helps students have more options.

“Some guys come in wanting to join a big, really social chapter and some guys want to join a smaller chapter,” Macon said. “Our variety lets us accommodate each student and helps them find their own niche.”

Aaron Bachenheimer, interim coordinator of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, said the dry rush policy gave students a clearer idea of what joining a fraternity means.

“It gives the students a sober perspective on what it means to join a fraternity,” Bachenheimer said. “It’s about joining something bigger than yourself.”

Macon said dry rush lessened the number of students who participated with no intention of joining. Official rush registration for fraternities isn’t required until the last night of the rush period.

“Every year we have students who come for the free meals and the mere social aspect without any interest in actually committing to anything,” Macon said.

“We call these guys free-loaders, but this year we’ve seen a decrease so we’re hoping that’ll be a new trend.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.