Movie Review: The Lion King 3D

It is a bit odd living in an time where the terms VHS and floppy disk are no longer a part of common knowledge. Things that used to be such an integral part of my childhood are now foreign to the youth growing up today.

Imagine my surprise then, when Disney announced they were showing “The Lion King” in 3D for two weeks to commemorate the upcoming Blu-ray release.

Considered a pinnacle of 2D animation on its release, “The Lion King” still stands today as one of Disney’s crowning achievements. Essentially a reworking of Hamlet with animals as the main protagonists, the story line is both colorfully charming and unforgettably moving.

In watching “The Lion King” for the near umpteenth time, the question was not if I would enjoy the film, but rather if the 3D effects would add anything substantial to an already entertaining movie.

For those of you have yet to see “The Lion King,” nothing more needs to be said. This is a film that must be watched, be it in 2D or 3D. For the people who are hesitant to spend nearly $15 on an old movie, I am split on what to suggest.

The 3D effects themselves are adequately done with some of the livelier scenes having a much-welcomed, additional layer of depth.

However, as is the nature with this kind of technology, the once vibrant and richly painted film is a bit more dark and muted in 3D.

The best thing about “The Lion King 3D” for me was walking into the theatre and seeing almost all the seats filled with children. Judging from their age, I suspected it would be their first time watching the movie.

I was just as excited to see their reactions to the film as I was to watch it myself. As I heard the sounds of genuine laughter and tears fill the room, I reminisced back to the first time I saw it on VHS.

Whether or not this is some quick cash-in by Disney, I can’t help but give this release the highest rating.

A truly generational film, “The Lion King” has stood test of time and remains just as spectacular as it did back in 1994.