New sorority rush policy embraces upperclassmen

Sorority rush can be an intimidating experience for the hundreds of girls who choose to take part in the process.

That anxiety is often intensified for upperclassmen participants, who typically have a more difficult time getting bids.

But Panhellenic Council President Lindsey Stephens said a new quota system should make the process much more inviting for sophomores and juniors.

“In the past, we have had to choose between upperclassmen and first-year students,” Stephens said.

She said by sacrificing a freshman’s bid, the sorority would also be giving up a year of dues.

“We also run the risk of bringing in a new girl who might not be able to fit in with the girls from her pledge class,” Stephens said. “These girls have already spent at least a year together so we don’t usually give bids to upperclassmen unless they already have friends in the sorority.”

In the past, each sorority has had to divide its bids between all potential members. This year, the houses will be given a separate quota, different for each house, for freshmen and upperclassmen pledges.

The University affairs committee of the Board of Trustees began a review of the Greek system last fall. The issue of upperclassmen acceptance in sororities surfaced in meetings.

Morgan Maples, the Panhellenic recruitment chairwoman, said the new policies have been effective in creating a more welcoming environment for upperclassmen.

“The results of this have been made evident in the large increase in sophomores and juniors that have chosen to participate in recruitment this year,” Maples said.

Maples said there are approximately 700 women participating in the formal recruitment process — nearly 100 more than last year.

Sophomores planning to participate in rush this year said they have seen sorority officials and members making an effort to include upperclassmen.

“Last year I know a lot of girls didn’t think they had a chance of getting into the sorority they wanted,” said one sophomore recruit who asked to remain anonymous due to the sensitive nature of the rush process.

“When I was a freshman, I didn’t feel like I was ready to rush because I didn’t know my place at Carolina yet,” she said.

“A lot of my friends are rushing this year as sophomores.”

She said the new quota system has made them all feel more confident that they will receive bids.

Sorority recruitment counselors have promoted the new policy by making T-shirts that say, “Upperclassman? We want YOU!”

Maples said the quota system has clarified that all grade levels are welcome to participate in recruitment.

“All of the Panhellenic chapters have adjusted extremely well to the new policies, and everyone is excited to see what an impact they will make.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.