Old tree removed, observed on campus

7384_0920_oldtree_kellyf.jpg
A tree was sawed down Thursday morning across the road from Memorial Hall.

University employees removed a nearly 200-year-old tree from North Campus on Monday.

The rotting post oak tree in front of New West Hall was cut down last week in hopes of preventing its decay from putting people in danger, said University Forest Manager Tom Bythell.

Bythell said the ultimate reason for the tree’s death is unknown, but ambrosia beetles and rotting roots contributed to its decline.
“We did several borer treatments this past spring — the treatments were unsuccessful,” he said.

The tree was planted around the time New West Hall was completed — between 160 and 180 years ago, Bythell said.

“Rotting in the center has made it difficult to determine the exact age, but it is likely that the tree was planted at the same time as New West, which was pretty common back then,” Bythell said.

The removal of the tree was completed by University employees at no extra cost to the school, Bythell said.

Students expressed dismay at the demise of a campus landmark, as well as love for the University’s trees.

“The trees add to the natural beauty of the campus,” sophomore Jennifer Powell said. “They are basically landmarks for our school.”

Freshman Addison Honeycutt said UNC’s natural environment attracted him to enroll.

“I am from Asheville, which is a very eco-friendly city, so being here with all the trees reminds me of my hometown,” Honeycutt said.

The University plans to re-plant a tree in the spot where the post oak was removed, Bythell said.

“Ideally, I would like to plant a post oak, but if that is not possible, something similar, such as a white oak, will be planted,” Bythell said.

Junior Erica Afanador said cutting down trees on campus takes away from the University’s natural beauty.

“Sitting in the quad after classes is one of my favorite things to do because there’s always such a nice environment,” Afanador said.

The N.C. Botanical Garden currently has the trunk from the post oak and the Office of University Development will preserve the remaining wood.

Bythell said the University has plans to remove a willow oak tree from the same area of campus over fall break.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.