Phi Beta Chi gets new house on Hillsborough

7518_0929_newsorority_savagef.jpg
Phi Beta Chi has a new sorority house on Hillsborough Street.

After 10 years of vacancy, the empty sorority house on Hillsborough Street is sporting Greek letters once again.

Christian sorority Phi Beta Chi began renting a house that used to be occupied by the Delta Zeta sorority at the beginning of the fall semester.

While the members won’t move in until next fall, they are currently using it for social events, alumni functions and chapter meetings, said Susan Wooden, housing director for the sorority.

Wooden said the sorority is raising funds to pay for the rent through bake sales and selling the house’s 40 parking spaces, especially for home football games.

Since the addition of the house, the sorority has seen a huge jump in new membership, Wooden said.

“I’m personally very excited,” Wooden said. “This has been something we’ve wanted for years, so I’m really excited for all the girls who get to experience living with the sisters they’re getting so close to.”

Next year, the sorority is planning to have about 30 girls live in the house, Wooden said.

The national Phi Beta Chi organization was founded in 1978, and the chapter at UNC was established in 1997. There are 10 chapters nationwide.

The sorority has been meeting in various locations on campus for years.

“They didn’t have a formal sorority house,” said Aaron Bachenheimer, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement.

“In the last few years or so, because they have a strong membership of about 100 members or so, they decided to explore housing.”

Delta Zeta used to occupy the house on Hillsborough Street before the chapter closed five to 10 years ago, Bachenheimer said.

Members of Phi Beta Chi first heard about the house this past November, Wooden said.

“The landlord with the real estate company contacted our president at the time. We had a meeting with him and things kind of went from there,” she said.

The University’s chapter became an associate member of the Panhellenic Council a few years ago, Bachenheimer said.

Lindsey Stephens, president of the Panhellenic Council, said the sorority does not participate in the formal recruitment process. Instead, it holds a separate recruitment.

“They have their own process but they’re still a voting member and the rules still apply to them,” Stephens said.

“They attend all meetings, and have an elected delegate who represents them. The only visible difference is their recruitment process.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.