Psalm 100’s vote restarts discussion about non-discrimination policy

While Psalm 100’s vote to remove a gay member for his views on homosexuality has raised questions about the University’s non-discrimination policy, the conversation is not unique in the University’s history.

The 16-person Christian a cappella group shares similarities with past groups that have been accused of violating UNC’s non-discrimination policy but differs from today’s belief-based groups in its strict membership policies.

These groups, which include College Republicans and Young Democrats, generally define members as those who pay dues, attend meetings and follow the standards set out in the specific group’s constitution, according to The Daily Tar Heel’s review of bylaws of several political and religious groups.

The University’s non-discrimination policy states that groups can limit membership to those who share certain beliefs, but cannot exclude anyone on the basis of sexual orientation, among other characteristics.

Within the last 10 years, two Christian groups have found their University recognition threatened due to UNC’s interpretation of the non-discrimination policy.

In 2002, the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship chose to exclude homosexuals from leadership positions, an action that University officials said violated the non-discrimination policy.

Then-chancellor James Moeser intervened to avoid legal action, and allowed InterVarsity to maintain the exclusivity for leadership as long as it remained nondiscriminatory for general members.

In 2004, the Christian fraternity Alpha Iota Omega was denied official University recognition for refusing to sign the non-discrimination policy. The fraternity members then sued UNC on the basis that they had the right to consider religion when choosing members.

The University reached a settlement with the fraternity, allowing belief-based groups the right to select members based on their beliefs, which could mean Psalm 100 acted in accordance with University policy.

Current constitutions at UNC don’t typically offer precise bylaws for removing a member.

The UNC Muslim Students Association constitution states that members must follow the doctrines of the Quran.

But Matthew Stevens, president of the group, said many non-Muslims attend meetings because anyone is welcome to attend events, regardless of membership status.

“To my knowledge, we’ve never kicked anyone out of MSA because of different opinions,” he said.

The College Republicans’ constitution has a clause on how to remove officers, but not members, for reasons including “disloyalty to the Republican Party.”

Greg Steele, chairman of the College Republicans, said he does not recall an instance of someone being removed from the group.

According to the group’s constitution, membership is defined by paying dues and attending meetings.

“With us, our constitution is pretty vague on stuff like that,” Steele said. “We’re open if you’re willing to pay (membership dues).”

The Young Democrats’ constitution also only addresses removing an officer and not a member, on the grounds of attendance and miscarriage of duty.

“We try to be a very big-tent party with lots of different kinds of people,” said Nathan Westmoreland, president of the organization, adding that he’s never heard of a member being removed.

“I wouldn’t say that there is a sort of party line that we would adhere to,” he said, adding that Democrats hold a variety of opinions.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.