The University should reconsider Karen Gil's role in the AFAM review

In light of findings that left the African and Afro-American Studies department battered and bruised, the University dutifully launched a review. Though the review is the right step at the right time, the choice of Karen Gil, the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, as the leader of the review raises questions of accountability.

There is little doubt that Gil will proceed in a fair and unbiased manner that will “pursue the facts and fix the problems.” But having the dean responsible for overseeing the department in question lead the review sends the wrong signal for a University already mired in scandal.

Gil’s close connections to the case and professional stake in the outcome warrant a more independent perspective. As dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Gil was directly responsible for the actions taken within the African and Afro-American Studies department and by its former chairman, Julius Nyang’oro, during the time in question.

The decision to investigate the department comes after it was revealed Nyang’oro had hired an NFL sports agent to teach a summer class and had failed to discover plagiarism in a paper football player Michael McAdoo had written for one of his courses. In the wake of these revelations and irregularities surrounding courses in the department, Nyang’oro resigned from the chairmanship earlier this month. Depending on the results of the review, it might become necessary for Nyang’oro to leave the University.

If UNC wants to seriously fix the problems created by this scandal and restore its reputation, steps must be taken to ensure full public faith in the review process.

In this case, that means bringing in people from outside the college to lead and help conduct the review.