UNC sororities welcome more upperclassmen

Photo: UNC sororities welcome more upperclassmen (Karla Towle)

Phi Mu is one of the 10 Panhellenic sororities that expanded its quotas to incorporate more upperclassmen.

More than 120 sophomores and juniors joined sororities this semester, a significant increase from the few upperclassmen that were even registered for the rush process last fall.

Student and administrative leaders in the Greek system said the increase is largely due to a new upperclassmen quota.

During recruitment, which ended Thursday, each of the 10 Panhellenic houses had a separate quota it had to meet in giving bids to non-freshmen, said Lindsey Stephens, president of the Panhellenic Council.

The quota system played a primary role in getting more women to participate, Stephens said.

“There are always going to be some girls of all classes who are unhappy every year because there are limited spots, but a lot more sophomores are excited this year especially,” she said. “There are around 10 in every pledge class.”

About 111 sophomores and 10 juniors joined sororities this semester, said Aaron Bachenheimer, interim coordinator of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Last year, few upperclassmen registered for the rush process at all, Bachenheimer said, though he could not provide an exact number.
Stephens said some women didn’t rush last year because they felt they would not get into the sororities they wanted.

This year, those women were more excited about participating with the new emphasis on admitting non-freshmen, Stephens said.

Although the exact number is not yet available, Stephens said around 700 women participated in rush week.

Ashley Stearns, a sophomore who just completed the rush process and received a bid from Phi Mu, said even though she wanted to rush regardless, knowing about the new quotas made her feel much more at ease about the process.

Stearns did not to rush last year, wanting to settle in at UNC first.

“None of my friends were doing it, and the process seemed overwhelming at the very beginning of my first year,” she said.

As a sophomore, she rushed without worrying about being favored less than the freshmen during recruitment, which hasn’t necessarily been true in previous years.

“We were looking for something different this year,” Stephens said. “The upperclassmen recruitment ideas prompted new things.

“Hopefully we can continue to improve next year, but I am very happy with how things have gone this year.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.