The disgraced former N.C. State chancellor has a lot to prove in his new role.

The David H. Murdock Research Institute has taken a gamble with its public and private funds in the recent hiring of former N.C. State chancellor James Oblinger as its president.

Though his resignation and the harm it caused N.C. State might not seem directly relevant to his new position, his hiring nonetheless reflects poorly on a partially state-funded initiative and its tolerance for the conduct Oblinger engaged in.

Oblinger was tapped to lead the institute — which is part of the N.C. Research Campus in Kannapolis and staffs itself with researchers from N.C. universities — just two years after resigning due to his role in the hiring, promotion and pay raise of then-N.C. first lady Mary Easley. He has since remained on the N.C. State faculty.

Only time will tell whether Oblinger’s hiring was a bad decision or not, and he’ll hopefully make the most of his second chance. If the institute and state are careful to ensure that Oblinger is transparent, there is no reason this shouldn’t turn out well for all parties involved.

Still, Oblinger has the most to gain here, and the institute has an awful lot to lose if Oblinger engages in anything even vaguely reminiscent of his former transgressions.

Unless the candidate’s qualifications make him absolutely irresistible, it’s common sense to think twice about someone with such a glaring pock on his resume. That’s especially true of a research facility that receives public funding.

Remaining accountable and transparent to the taxpayers who help fund it is one of the most important responsibilities of any state-funded institution, which N.C. State must continue to bear in mind as it recovers from scandal.

Trust is a very hard thing to gain back. But Oblinger now has an opportunity to restore confidence in his management of taxpayer dollars. He must take care to make sure this was a risk worth taking.