Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools focuses on Hispanic heritage

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month during a year that marks a milestone for the Hispanic population.

This year, 14.1 percent of students in the district identified as Hispanic, making it the largest minority group in the school system, and making this the first year in at least nine years that the school system has more Hispanic than Asian students.

Latino youth are the fastest growing group in the United States, and this trend is reflected county-wide.

The percentage of Hispanic citizens in Orange County nearly doubled between 2000 and 2010, growing from 4.5 percent to 8.2 percent, according to U.S. Census data.

In response to this increase, schools are beginning to offer groups for Latino parents to work together to support each other and their children with different school-related issues, said Stephanie Knott, spokeswoman for the school district.

On Wednesday, McDougle Middle School will also offer a Latino Family Night and a Dual Language Parent Meeting at 6 p.m., said Debra Scott, the school’s principal.

“There will be festivities and food,” Scott said. “I think the students and their families appreciate the focus on their culture and concerns.”

East Baile Latino, a student group from East Chapel Hill High School, visited McDougle Elementary School for its annual performance Sept. 29.

Members of the group demonstrated various native dances and encouraged McDougle students, staff and parents to join in, said Karen Galassi-Ferrer, the group’s faculty advisor.

Hispanic Heritage Month activities began on Sept. 15 and will continue with both events and classroom research until Oct. 15.

In recognition of the increased Hispanic population, the district has also begun to make organizational changes.

“Over time, the district has increased the number of staff members in receptionist roles who are fluent in both Spanish and English,” Knott said.

Although Hispanic education was already a priority for the school district, student clubs have been influential in emphasizing the importance of Hispanic students’ performance in the classroom, Knott said.

Galassi-Ferrer also advises a group called HOGAR, which means “home” in Spanish.

HOGAR stands for Hispanos Oponiendose a la Gente Racista, which translates to Hispanics Opposed to Racist People.

It is a more academically focused organization that discusses issues such as racism, immigration and minority students’ achievement, Galassi-Ferrer said.

Since its creation four years ago, the group has presented to faculty members about important cultural aspects of Latinos and their impact on Latino students’ educations, Galassi-Ferrer said.

“I believe that the Latino students at East feel welcomed, connected and valued,” she said. “They know that they have a ‘HOGAR’ at their school.”

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com.